Nouns vs Verbs...Pierce College...;-)

Fri Feb 13 14:16:46 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
February 13, 2004

Dear SW List, and Adam!
Thank you for this outstanding discussion of ASL grammar, Adam. It is
great to see how far the knowledge of ASL grammar has come, in the past
20 years...

And I will keep this message to correct our dictionary. I only wish you
could post written signs in SignWriting to the List. Can you type with
SignWriter DOS? I would love your feedback on the signs in the ASL
dictionary...there are 3,100 of them in the DOS dictionary...and
although they were written in SignWriting by Deaf ASL signers, it was
long ago, and there are many signs that can be written better now,
based on new research on ASL grammar...

By the way...I taught several workshops on SignWriting at Pierce
Community College, in Woodland Hills, in the San Fernando Valley (north
of Los Angeles) in 1982, 1983, 1984. Several of our DAC members started
working with me, because of those workshops...They became the Deaf
staff who wrote the SignWriter Newspaper in ASL from 1982-1984...So I
am very familiar with Pierce College! Wonderful ASL program there...you
are right!

Val ;-)