Discussion question

Stuart Thiessen smt_sw at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Feb 23 19:42:07 UTC 2004

I don't know if I agree with the phrase: "attempting to make ASL into a
written form."

What distinguishes SignWriting from every other writing system for sign
languages is very simple: other sign language writing systems seek to
develop their writing systems based on a linguistic analysis of the
language they are writing. Stokoe, HamNoSys, and SignFont all come from
linguistic analyses that attempted to describe sign languages.

SignWriting simply seeks to develop a set of symbols that will describe
all the necessary movements that can happen in a sign language
discourse. The only changes that happen to SignWriting is when a writer
identifies a movement, handshape, etc. for which there is no symbol.
Then a new symbol must be devised or an existing symbol must be
modified to write that movement, handshape, or whatever it is. As it
is, the existing symbol set gives a writer of sign languages great
flexibility to express the details of sign languages.  Some things may
not need to be written in extreme detail and, at times, an existing
symbol can be enough to communicate the movement, handshape, etc.

ASL is a language simply because it meets all the qualifications of a
true language.  It has syntax, morphology, semantics, grammar ... in
short, all the expected elements of a language. Its only difference is
in its modality.  The existence (or lack thereof) of writing is
actually irrelevant to the discussion of whether a language is a
language or not. The reality is that there are over 6,000 languages and
a good number of them have not been written ... yet.  They still
qualify as full-fledged languages. The unwritten ones simply haven't
had the opportunity to exploit the advantages of written forms as of
yet.  To disqualify a language simply on the basis of a lack of written
form is simply another form of linguistic bigotry (if you will pardon
the harsh terminology).

SignWriting really doesn't focus on the linguistic rules or
requirements of a sign language. It simply seeks to present the most
accurate transcription of the movements involved in signed discourse.
The writer has the flexibility to make that transcription as detailed
or as simple as he/she desires. Like Valerie mentions often,
SignWriting is really an IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) for the
visual modality. Just like the IPA does not get involved in the
linguistics of how the language expresses itself, but merely
transcribes the auditory characteristics of the language, so also
SignWriting merely transcribes the visual characteristics of the sign
language discourse. Those who analyze the transcription can then
utilize the written transcription to describe the language more fully.

Thanks,

Stuart