ASL - Grace

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 27 00:57:42 UTC 2004

I think one needs a history of the sign to understand.  Originally, when I was learning religious sign, it started with a "g" above one's head to the right, as if pulling "grace" from heaven, going down to one's chest.  The flip is done before the hand moves, not as part of the movement downward.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
SignWriting List
February 26, 2004

Charles Butler wrote:
> Looking at "grace" as you have spelled it Valerie, looks okay except
> that the movement goes from shoulder level down to chest while the arm
> turns from the first position to the second.  It's not a curved
> motion, but a down and left motion with the twist of the handshape
> being indicated, as you note, by the change of orientation between the
> first and second position.

Hi Charles -
OK. So why is the rotation symbol necessary? Take a look....Can you
think of another sign that has similar movement?