SignWriter Java program - a question for everyone

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Fri Jan 16 13:29:24 UTC 2004

Hi all,

as you know, Daniel and others are busy working on programming SignWriter
Java now, for use on PCs and Macs and ..

I do not know if this question is pressing for the programmers yet, but I
thought I would pose it now anyway:

It has to do with menues and shortcuts.

In Norway, we are used to having the big programs translated into
Norwegian, so that the menues are in Norwegian. But the shortcuts are
still based on English, the are the easily reached combinations of the
CTRL-key and C for Copy, X for cut, Z for undo, V for paste, A for all. -
I am not sure about the Mac shortcuts, but I imagine it is similar. I I
guess that most countries will have the program menues translated, but not
the shortcut keys.
In the old SignWriter DOS version, the shortcuts are done by the ALT-key
and the first letter from a menue translated into Norwegian.
Now my question is: can we use the way that is familiar from other
programs, or should we stick to a SW-specific, language-specific way? I
would prefer the former: the 'conventional' shortcuts for PC-programs.

Ingvild