SignWriter Java program - a question for everyone

Fri Jan 16 16:07:25 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
January 16, 2003

Dear SW List and Ingvild, Daniel...
That is a good point about the shortcuts. One of the features that we
never got programmed in the old SW Java were the shortcut keys...so the
current version doesn't even have any English shortcuts...none...so I
will leave that to Daniel and his team, as to how they will approach
shortcuts... As you know, SW Java is more mouse driven than the old
SignWriter DOS. The old SW DOS could not use a mouse, so the shortcuts
were very important in SW DOS because they replaced the mouse...and
were the only way to navigate....but in modern programs the shortcuts
are usually just one of several ways to navigate....so they are not
quite as important. If you have pull-down menus, then let you choose
what to do with your mouse, the shortcuts become secondary...I know the
SW-Java team in Switzerland is re-designing SignWriter Java from the
beginning...so we will have a totally new program in time...Val ;-)