[sw-l] Creating PNGs on Windows

Sat Jul 31 04:47:46 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
July 30, 2004

  Jerry Spillman wrote:
> I currently use PaintShop Pro v. 9.  It is capable of making PNG
> files, however, I have not learned the tricks of making them small,
> and so far, GIFs are easier to work with.

Yes. I know that making PNGs is new for a lot of people who are used to
making GIFs. We are moving the PUDL site to SignBank.org and we had to
choose between using the PNG format for small SignWriting signs, or the
GIF format, and since the PNG format is copyright free around the
world, where the GIF format is still restricted in some countries, we
chose the PNG format..For those who are just finding and using the
signs in the Sign Puddles, that won't matter, but for those few editors
who are uploading new signs into the SignPuddle, they will need to use
the PNG format. I remember Charles Butler told me that he could not
create PNGs? Is that right, Charles? So that was why I asked...I
personally created PNGs in Photoshop, and when we are making PNGs in
SignWriting they are tiny files, with only 2 colors...so they can be
smaller than GIFs...sometimes...smile...Val ;-)

PS. Here are some PNG makers for Windows:

Free Filters and Plugins for Windows and Macintosh
... of free filters, several that can be used to make seamless tiles
... SuperPNG - Advanced
PNG Plug-in for Photoshop (Win/Mac) "SuperPNG is a free Adobe Photoshop
  graphicssoft.about.com/od/pluginsfiltersfree/ - 29k - Cached -
Similar pages

Web Graphics and Animation Software for Windows and Macintosh
... stationery." The basic program is free, fully functional ... Liatro
Button Maker (Win)
  Powerful web button editing ... over Button Generator (Win) Creates
PNG and JPEG ...
  graphicssoft.about.com/od/webanimationsoftware/ - 24k - Cached -
Similar pages
[ More results from graphicssoft.about.com ]

Freeware Files Windows Graphics Free Software
... Make Multiple-Icon which has some icons in a file. ... Import:
ICO/BMP/PNG/PSD/EXE/DLL/ICL
  Export: ICO/BMP/PNG/ICL Copy to / Paste from Clipboard. ... FREE
SOFTWARE. ...
  www.hsinlin.com/software/graphics.html - 40k - Cached - Similar pages

Free png downloads
... Related keywords: icon, ico, icons, convert, icon maker, icon
creator, icon
  editor, bitmap, bmp, gif, jpeg, pcx, tga, png. download free (1.34
Mb). ...
  www.handyarchive.com/free/png/index4.html - 25k - Cached -
Similar pages

with "unsubscribe sw-l" in the body of the message.