[sw-l] NAD Update

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Tue Jul 13 15:53:21 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
July 13, 2004

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> One person even told me that her son had seen this and it was some
> kind of European written language that was going to merge everything
> together.  I tried to correct that misunderstanding, but she was quite
> adamant that she was right about it.  Are our European SW friends
> doing something we don't know about <GRIN>?  I am just teasing, of
> course, (It's in my nature as a Thiessen -- small spoken language joke
> there) but it was interesting to see that misperception.

Ha! There are a lot of misunderstandings on everything in life...We
don't know what we don't know...smile...

Maybe they confused SignWriting with Gestuno? Or perhaps because we can
write any signed language, they possibly assumed that we were changing
the languages themselves and making them all one language...

People oftentimes confuse the difference between writing a language and
the languages themselves...two different things...smile...

So in summary, SignWriting symbols can be used to write any signed
language, but we are not changing the languages...we are writing them
as they are signed...just writing the movements of the body while we
sign...

The symbols a, b and c are from the Roman Alphabet, and just because
the Roman Alphabet is used to write French and Spanish, it does not
mean that French and Spanish are the same language! But that is where
their confusion comes from, I believe...

with "unsubscribe sw-l" in the body of the message.