Rotations

Sun Jun 6 15:19:45 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 6, 2004

Daniel Noelpp wrote:
> In the SymbolBank the mirrors of the hand symbols rotate the other way
> round. Perhaps it is a good idea to leave it this way? So we have the
> best of the two different possibilities? The GUI (the rotation key)
> always rotates the same, but the data knows about the mirror and
> rotates differently for the mirrors?

-----------------------

Dear SW List, Steven, Bart and Daniel!

Yes, Daniel. Your statement above is exactly true. Regarding the
SignWriter Computer Program, whether it be SignWriter DOS, SignWriter
Java or your new SignWriter Tiger version...the Rotate Key on the
SignWriter Keyboard must be a neutral key that always gives us
counter-clockwise rotation when we tap on the Rotate Key without the
Shift key, and with the Shift Key held down, the Rotate Key then gives
us the clockwise rotations...And it has to be without analyzing any
language...just a generic key that has all the rotations by tapping on
it...

Then, no matter how the symbols might be different from one category to
the next...at least the Rotate Key itself is consistent...and the
typist has to know what they are doing...but they do already, since
that is the way it has been for years!

Meanwhile, SymbolBank is showing every possible rotation that can exist
in the entire writing system...like a huge database...without a Rotate
Key...Let me show you how I work daily, through a series of GIFs...I
think this might be helpful, since it will show you how I am
thinking.., and why I am doing what I am doing! smile  ;-)))

Meanwhile, other computer programmers, such as Steven and Bart, may not
be working with a Rotate Key, and therefore may have other issues that
are not related to the Rotate Key...so oftentimes in these discussions
we are talking about different things...but may actually be in
agreement with each other without knowing it! But hopefully, through
more discussions, we can figure it all out - ha!