Rotations

Sun Jun 6 20:54:45 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 6, 2004

Rotations for Movement Symbols
In the SSS-2004, the IMWA, I have made the rotations for movement
arrows, and also handshapes the same. This means that there is a great
deal of visual redundancy...in other words, two symbols might look the
same, out of all those rotations, but their numbers (namely,
02-01-002-01-01-01) will be different...

Since the IMWA is not a typing program, but instead a database, I think
this is good for researchers to have this consistency in numbering,
although, someday, I hope that speed typing might be looked at again,
as a possible alternative to mouse input of symbols...Certainly,
programmers can take these symbols and program them the way they feel
is necessary for their program...Please see attached diagram of
movement symbols in the SSS-2004...