Funding for SignWriting-related web sites for all countries...

Thu Jun 10 15:45:13 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 10, 2004

Dear SW List Members:
There are quite a number of new web sites that are starting to use
SignWriting. Some of them are related to universities and research
laboratories. Their funding comes from the universities...at least in
some cases.

Then there are other web sites that are posted by individuals, who love
SignWriting and want to share with the world. Those sites are donated
to the world by the people who design them, and there is little or no
funding for them. Some of those sites are:

SignWriting Site
SignBank Site
PUDL Site
Pass-It-On-Services Site
Gebaerdenshrift Site
SignBible Site
SignPoetry Site
Children-to-Children Site
SignSong Site
SignWriter Java Site

If I have forgotten any, please tell us!

The purpose of this email is to explain, that I am trying to find some
sources of income for those sites without funding. In the past, I did
not want any advertising on our sites, because I cannot stand flashing
ads myself...they hurt my eyes! Plus, we are educational, and it seemed
wrong to have commercial advertisements on a site where Deaf children
are visiting..I am sure you all agree. We are educational, and I want
to keep it that way...

The problem lately, is that some of us are in need of funds to keep
going. So I am trying to find ways to do this, without hurting the
non-commercial nature of our sites, and to keep the sites clean and
elegant...

My next messages on this theme will explain some new opportunities for
the SignWriting community...Val ;-)