transcripts from video storytelling

Nancy E. Emery nemery at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sun Jun 20 20:14:03 UTC 2004

hi Valerie and all,

I'd love to know more about what SW texts are available that have been transcribed from ASL on
video.  I have not been sure, when looking at some SW texts, whether they were a transcription
of a native signer signing, or whether they were originally composed in SW.  For the linguistics
paper I'm writing, I need transcriptions of native ASL signing in narratives, and what i've seen in
print in ASL textbooks or linguistics papers is usually just glossing and translations, whereas SW
seems valuable to me to see how the signing actually looks.  (And my advisor wants a
"phonological transcription", that shows how the signs are formed so they could be recreated.) I
thought I'd have to learn to transcribe all the examples i used from videos myself (which has
been interesting and valuable but slow, and i still don't have the printing figured out, or the best
way to gloss and translate along with the signs).  So if there is a lot out there already transcribed
from video into SW - preferably in expressive viewpoint, as i see your Goldilocks story is - I'd
love to have access to it or if it's already posted to know which stuff it is.

I'm saying ASL because that's the only signed language i know at all, but I'd also be interested in
transcriptions from other signed languages that have a lot of classifiers used, if i could tell
which were the classifier constructions.  I know the tense marker shows the locative classifiers,
but for other classifier types and uses I might not be able to tell.

Sorry if this has already been answered - I get the SW list mail in digest form, all together once a
day, so it's a little delayed.

Nancy Emery