transcripts from video storytelling

Mon Jun 21 17:30:46 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 21, 2004

Nancy E. Emery wrote:
> I need transcriptions of native ASL signing in narratives, and what
> i've seen in
> print in ASL textbooks or linguistics papers is usually just glossing
> and translations, whereas SW
> seems valuable to me to see how the signing actually looks.  (And my
> advisor wants a
> "phonological transcription", that shows how the signs are formed so
> they could be recreated.)

Hello Nancy, and SW List members...

Here are four versions of Goldilocks available for download on the web:

1. Goldilocks in ASL, SignWriting Level 1, Beginner's Workbook, 568kb
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0076-US-Goldilocks-Level1.pdf

2. Goldilocks in ASL, SignWriting Level 2, Basic Storybook, 936kb
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0077-US-Goldilocks-Level2.pdf

3. Goldilocks in ASL, SignWriting Level 3, Intermediate Storybook, 1.7mb
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0168-US-Goldilocks-Level3.pdf

4. Goldilocks in ASL, SignWriting Level 4, Advanced Storybook, 1.5mb
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0169-US-Goldilocks-Level4.pdf

Level 2 was written directly in ASL by Darline Clark Gunsauls, in
SignWriting. But Level 3 and Level 4 are my transcriptions from
videotape of Darline signing the stories in ASL...Level 3 and Level 4
are actually the exact same document, but...with a different way of
presenting it...Level 3 is large size SignWriting symbols and English
on the page, as a translation (the translation into English was done
after the transcription into SignWriting). Level 4 is advanced because
it has no English translation, and the SignWriting is much smaller in
size...advanced readers do not need large sizes to read quickly...For
me, I prefer Level 4. I sit down and read it as I would a newspaper or
novel in English...just pure ASL before one's eyes on the page...

ENJOY!