IMWA SSS-2004: Category 01: Hands

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Jun 25 18:49:37 UTC 2004

Val wrote:

> Most signed languages use from 80-100 handshapes. But the SSS-2004
> (version 1.0) has 175 handshapes, since each country uses different
> handhapes. So I will need your help later, to pin down what handshapes
> are important to your respective signed languages...I am not sure if it

Val,

Some time ago I marked up my "Lessons in SignWriting" manual with all the
handshapes from the big BSL dictionary, so I can send you this now -
obviously I should go over it more carefully later when you've got the PDFs
up, but for now this might interest you. There seem to be quite a few extra
handshapes we'd need to express everything in the dictionary.

I've also listed the number of entries in the dictionary for each
handshape - these are the numbers in square brackets. As you see, certain
handshapes have only one entry (a sign that these are foreign borrowings),
so might be "pushed to one side" when it comes to keyboard design.

I'm not saying the lexicographers necessarily got everything right, but I
guess it's the best we've got.

Here's the list:

IMWA SSS-2004 v1.0

Group 01-01: Index Finger
  [1] 01-01-002-01 Index on Circle
 [31] 01-01-009-01 IndexBent
 [79] 01-01-011-01 IndexHinge

Group 01-02: Index Middle Fingers
 [32] 01-02-001 Index Middle
 [22] We need Index Middle with Hinge
 [20] 01-02-003 Index Middle Bent
  [7] We need Index Middle Bent with fingers together
 [17] 01-02-004 Index Middle Hinge
[121] 01-02-007 Index Middle Unit
  [1] 01-02-010 Index Middle Cross

Group 01-03: Index Middle Thumb
  [3] 01-03-001 Index Middle Thumb
  [7] 01-03-005 Index Middle Thumb Bent
  [1] We need Index Middle Thumb Bent with thumb straight
  [8] We need Index Middle Thumb Circle with Bent
  [6] 01-03-014 Index Middle Thumb Hinge
  [4] 01-03-018 Middle Thumb Angle, IndexUp

Group 01-04: Four Fingers
  [2] 01-04-001 Four Fingers
  [3] 01-04-006 Four Fingers UnitBent

Group 01-05: Five Fingers
[113] 01-05-001-01 Five Fingers
 [15] 01-05-004-01 Five Fingers Bent
 [20] We need Five Fingers Bent with thumb straight side
 [58] 01-05-006-01 Five Fingers Cup
 [18] 01-05-007-01 Five Fingers Hinge
 [86] 01-05-009-01 Flat Hand
  [9] 01-05-016-01 Flat Thumb Side
  [3] 01-05-020-01 Claw Thumb Side
 [33] 01-05-025-01 Cup
  [4] 01-05-028-01 Cup Thumb Forward
 [34] 01-05-029-01 Circle (Open Fist)
 [32] 01-05-039-01 Angle
 [32] We need Open Angle
 [97] We need Angle No Thumb
  [4] We need Angle Thumb Side

Group 01-06: Baby Finger
  [1] 01-06-001-01 Index Middle Ring
  [1] 01-06-003-01 Index Middle Ring Unit
 [16] 01-06-008-01 Baby Up
 [13] We need Baby Hinge
 [26] 01-06-010-01 Baby Thumb
  [2] 01-06-012-01 Baby Index Thumb
  [3] 01-06-016-01 Baby Index

Group 01-07: Ring Finger
  [3] 01-07-006-01 Ring Baby

Group 01-08: Middle Finger
  [3] 01-08-004-01 Index Ring Baby on Hinge
  [4] 01-08-006-01 Index Ring Baby on Angle
  [7] We need Index Ring Baby Thumb
  [6] 01-08-009-01 Middle Up

Group 01-09: Index Thumb
 [52] 01-09-001-01 Middle Ring Baby
  [7] 01-09-005-01 Middle Ring Baby on Hinge
 [10] 01-09-015-01 Index Thumb Side
 [11] 01-09-018-01 IndexBent, ThumbStraight
 [22] 01-09-021-01 Index Thumb Hook
 [28] 01-09-023-01 Index Thumb Cup
 [14] 01-09-026-01 Index Thumb Hinge
  [3] 01-09-030-01 Index Thumb Angle

Group 01-10: Thumb
 [84] 01-10-001-01 Thumb
[153] 01-10-011-01 Fist
 [55] We need Thumb Side Unit with the Index bent over it

Sandy Fleming