ASL Numbers for SignWriting Playing Cards

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Thu Mar 4 22:44:59 UTC 2004

Ah ha!

I misunderstood the open and closed circles and how they relate to finger
movement.  I was confused by page 88 in the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook.
I thought multiple circles represented multiple joints, not multiple
repetitions.

So if I understand this correctly now...
- One open circle means the joints open once.  This is how I sign
"understand".
- Two open circles means the joints open twice.  This is how I sign "11".

Could an open circle and a closed circle ever be used on the same hand for
the same sign?  I guess this would be possible, but never on the same
finger.

Thanks,
-Stephen