a SignWriting online dictionary open to many contributors...

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Sun Mar 7 15:45:16 UTC 2004

Charles,

You make a lot of good points.  I was thinking of adding a definition for
each sign.  I guess I should also add a souce for each sign.

Be right back...

OK, I'm back.

PUDL's Open Dictionary is now accepting definitions and sources will all new
signs.

I would like to be able to display the definition for each sign in
SignWriting.  This will be a problem until the dictionary gets larger.  Try
your definition on www.pudl.info/dictionary/trans.php to get an idea of how
any definitions will appear.

The format for the source is up to the individual contributer.

About the environment of where the sign is used...  That's a very good
concern.  You can put that information in the definition field for now.

I've also added a tool for creating links to SignWriting outputs.  If you
visit www.pudl.info/dictionary/trans.php  and enter some English words that
are in the dictionary you can view the SignWriting output.  You will also be
provided with a link so that you can view the output later.

Here is an example of an output link
http://www.pudl.info/dictionary/display.php?asl=read%20and%20write%20sign

If you load multiple versions of a sign then the signs will be recorded as
sign, sign_2, sign_3.  If you want to access the third version for
"birthday" then you would use "birthday_3" in the translator.

-Stephen Slevinski
www.pudl.info