Should PUDL's Open Dictionary be international?

Fri Mar 12 16:26:45 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 12, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> However, I could improve the dictionary significantly.  For each
> signed language, I could create utilities for managers, supervisors,
> and contributors who would be able to manage each dictionary on their
> own.  I could set up a voting system for input from users about
> existing signs.  Dictionaries could have definitions, synonyms, and
> antonyms.  I could even create an online utility for creating new
> signs.  Really anything is possible, and I'd really love to do this,
> except for time and money.

Dear SW List, Stephen, Charles -
This is a wonderful idea, Stephen, but you are also correct....that
time and money are an issue....So what about this idea?

Create a place that asks for a "Sign Language Manager" from each
country...The only countries you would support, would be those
countries that have a volunteer, who will manage the section for their
country...

For example, perhaps Charles Butler, or someone else from Brazil,  will
want to manage the Brazilian Sign Language (LIBRAS) Online Dictionary
for PUDL? The person would need to know Portuguese, English and LIBRAS,
and would be the person who provides the Portuguese translation for
your instructions on how to use the site...making it comfortable for
Brazilian visitors...

So that way, your ASL site is the focus (you are the manager of that
language site!)...and if someone else offers their time, for another
language, then you can think about adding that country...

My thoughts for today!

Thanks again for all you are doing -