Pronouns - English words and ASL grammar

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Fri Mar 26 21:42:45 UTC 2004

Hi Val,

I think this is where our dictionaries will diverge.  I am not striving for
correct English, but for correct ASL grammar using English words. I've
decided this because of the translator tool on my site: it uses ASL grammar.
After the dictionary is bigger, I can then focus on explaining correct
English with SignWriting.

I am also trying for consistency and accuracy, so I may limit the pronouns
to the objective personal pronouns because of the confusion between I and
me.  So the dictionary will use (me, you, him, her, it, us, you, and them).
So I think I will rename "help_2" as "me-help-you".  I think I will also
apply direction to him and her.  Her points to the left and him points to
the right.  So her-help-me will start on the left and him-help-me will start
on the right.

However, if the pronouns are consistent, I should be able to upgrade the
translator to act properly.  So if someone enters "I-help-you", the
translator will be smart enough to exchange "me" for "I" and display
"me-help-you".  However, there will still be a problem with "she-helps-me"
because of the extra s on help.

Anyway, just some thoughts,
-Stephen Slevinski
www.pudl.info