Pronouns - English words and ASL grammar

Fri Mar 26 19:21:31 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 26, 2004

Stephen - These are good thoughts, and of course I see your points on
all this. The real point now is that ASL glosses will be needed less
and less, as ASL becomes a written language more and more...

I see the Translation Tool, and the definitions in a bi-lingual
dictionary, as two different things...They may not be different things
from your programming point of view, however, and certainly I can see
that you may not be able to do other things, because the way the
translation and dictionary are intertwined...so I understand and I am
happy with all you are doing...PUDL is a wonderful site.

At this time no software in the world is perfect with translations
between spoken languages or signed languages either, and since a person
who knows ASL gloss can get a good translation by typing in the English
words in ASL grammar order, and then get good ASL in
SignWriting....that is a great tool!!

 From my perspective, for our SignBank Online Dictionary, I am aiming
for an official bi-lingual dictionary where users are looking something
up to know how to say it in the other language...hearing people with no
knowledge of ASL, would not know why you used an ASL gloss when writing
English...And Deaf people should also be able to find out how to
correctly write that equivalent in English, without sounding like they
are talking in ASL gloss...smile...

So if it is a help to you, let my SignBank Online Dictionary take that
approach for you, so you don't have to do anything more...and then
people will have several different sources on the web...what could be
better?

Regarding my choices, I guess I am thinking about my years living as an
American in Denmark. I learned to speak Danish, and my little red
Danish-English, English-Danish dictionary became beat-up and ragged
from use...But when I looked up a Danish word, I did not find an
English definition in Danish gloss! I found the definition in true
English and vice versa...so no language was changed for the other...

I know that ASL glosses developed out of necessity because before now,
there was no way to write ASL...but with the work we all are doing,
that is changing and slowly the need for an ASL gloss will diminish is
my guess...

Val ;-)