glossing/ SW, self-intro

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Tue Mar 30 07:25:31 UTC 2004

Something I'd like to share.

I met a deaf writer on www.signlanguage.org.  She posted an example of
glossing.  I pasted her gloss into PUDL's translator and it worked OK. I
introduced myself and showed her the results.  She does know of SignWriting,
but has never learned it.

So here's her post...
--------------------
Posted by Deafwriter
--------------------
Hello!

I thought I would post another ASL example. So many people think it's
English on the hand and I can't help but feel the need to show the
difference. This is less advanced that the usual (see my rendition of the
Pledge of Alligiance), but give you a good idea.

ENGLISH: I have been to Washington, D.C., many times, but I never pass up a
chance to go back for another visit. I especially enjoy Washington in the
Spring when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom and all of the other
flowering trees and shrubs show their colors. There is no doubt about it.
Washington is a beautiful city. Some people complain that the government
buildings look like fake Greek temples and that the streets are not safe for
people to go out at night. There may be some truth to both of these
statements, but not enough to kill my enthusiasm. Of course, I have many
friends in Washington, and that makes a big difference. If they all moved to
Chicago, maybe I would come to like Chicago. But that is not likely to
happen, and I will continue to think of Washington, D.C., as a very special
place where I will always feel at home.

ASL GLOSS: FINISH TOUCH WASHINGTON D.C., MANY TIME. NEVERTHELESS, CAN GO
AGAIN VISIT, NEVER SAY-NO. WASHINGTON ENJOY BEST WHEN? SPRING. YOU KNOW
CHERRY BLOSSOMS. TREE FLOWER, OTHER FLOWER, ALL-OVER TRUE COLOR BEAUTIFUL.
MAKE SURE (pause) WASHINGTON PLACE BEAUTIFUL. SOME PEOPLE COMPLAIN BUILDINGS
GOVERNMENT ALL APPEAR TEMPLE FAKE GREEK, COMPLAIN GO-OUT STREET, STREET SAFE
NOT. TRUE MAYBE, BUT ME LIKE STILL. ALL-RIGHT, HAVE FRIEND MANY IN
WAHSINGTON, HELP MUCH. JUDGE FRIEND ALL MOVE CHICAGO, MECHANGE MAYBE LIKE
CHICAGO. BUT SEEM HAPPEN NOT. ME STILL THINK WASHINGTON, D.C. PLACE NICE. ME
FEEL SAME HOME ALWAYS.