SignBank LSF French-Switzerland

Thu Mar 4 04:09:20 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 3, 2004

On Mar 3, 2004, Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod, from Switzerland, wrote:
> Valerie...I worked the whole day today with Siv and Viviane... to
> prepare our fisrt french-swiss SW workshop for next week... and we
> talked about.... how we should manage to use signbank (for swiss
> LSf... and also for the swiss german sign language...)..... Could you
> just tell me where I'm supposed to look on the web to find the
> instruction about how to create a "new" signbank dictionnary... for
> swiss french LSF....I'd also like to know if there's a way to copy
> signs out of the ASL Signbank to create a swiss LSF Signbamk (as I
> noticed there are a lot of similar signs between ASL and the LSf used
> here!....I know there was alrdeay such a discussison on the web a few
> month ago.... just let me know where I'm supposed to look at and I'll
> try to do it!....Give you some news once we've finished the
> workshop... to tell you how it went!....Take care....Anny

---------

Dear SW List, and Anne-Claude, Siv and Viviane!
Congratulations on your first French-Swiss SignWriting workshop...I
will be happy to help you start your French-Swiss SignBank
database...Let me explain....

NORWEGIAN SIGNBANK
Last weekend, I worked with Ingvild Roald in Norway, on the first
Norwegian SignBank database. Ingvild sent me a few Norwegian signs. I
added the Norwegian signs into SignBank. I then posted the new
Norwegian SignBank files on the web, for Ingvild to download. And now
Ingvild has the big task of creating a Norwegian database. My job was
just to get it "started"....

FRENCH-SWISS SIGNBANK
I will be happy to do the same, this weekend, for your new French-Swiss
SignBank. How does this sound to you?...

1. Send me 5 to 20 French-Swiss signs, typed in SignWriting. You can
send the signs in .SGN format, typed in SignWriter DOS or Java, or you
can send them as GIFs, or PNGs or JPGs...or even in a PDF file or a
Word file. Be sure to place the French words near each sign.

2. Then I will add the signs into a new SignBank file. While I am
adding the signs, I will share with the SW List, step by step, how I do
the work, so you will all be getting instruction, while I am creating
the French-Swiss file.

3. Since you tell me that there are a lot of ASL signs that are similar
to signs in your country, I will add the French-Swiss signs into a copy
of the ASL database. Then you can change or delete any of the ASL signs
later.

4. Then I will post the new French-Swiss SignBank on the web for you to
download. If you send me your signs soon, we can do this by the time of
your workshop..I will need two days to do the work...I can devote
Saturday and Sunday to it.

Do you want to do this, Anne-Claude? I will wait to hear from you -

And other countries...I will be happy to do this for you too, but not
this weekend...This weekend is reserved for French- Switzerland!