PUDL: Graphs with 40 Group Symbols...tiers of visual choices...

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Tue Mar 23 08:19:30 UTC 2004

Thanks Val,

I was hiding the D hand shape.  I have changed it so that symbols and
variations are displayed together.  I have also optimized the process by
removing a needless step if there is only one symbol available for a
Category and Group, such as every group in category 4.  The lone symbol is
automatically selected and the final list is displayed.

-Stephen Slevinski
www.pudl.info

-----Original Message-----
From: SignWriting List [mailto:SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA]On Behalf Of
Valerie Sutton
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 9:29 AM
To: SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Subject: Re: PUDL: Graphs with 40 Group Symbols...tiers of visual
choices...

SignWriting List
March 22, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> The image is the square directly under the text.  It does not contain
> any
> symbols yet, so it is blank.  Where you click, the symbol will be
> centered.
> After you place the first symbol, the image will look more like an
> image and
> the description should make more sense.

I see...yes...until that graphic shows up, it doesn't make sense to the
user...Thanks for explaining that ;-)

One more complicated thing...

The variations are actually BaseSymbols too...for
example...01-01-001-01 and its variation: 01-01-001-02 are both
BaseSymbols...Extra variations are rare, so this doesn't happen often.
The variations are a wonderful way for us to squeeze in BaseSymbols
that are needed, between numbers...Take a look at the attached
diagram...the D handshape is a variation of 01-01-001-01...but the D
hand is still a BaseSymbol within the Index group and needs to be
listed there, just like the other three...

Notice how the symbol that represents the Group is listed with white
palm-facing, but the rest of the BaseSymbols within that group are seen
from the side view in the list, since users requested that for ease of
use...Some symbols are hard to read from the front...and this also
highlights where the groups begin, in the list, because of the white
palm facing for the initial group symbol...The symbols could and
preferably should be displayed this way when people click on
BaseSymbols in PUDL too, if possible...right now, the D handshape is
not there, but hidden under another symbol...

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.