Searching Signwriting Signs demo

Wed Mar 24 16:09:50 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 24, 2004

SEARCH FOR SIGNS BY HANDSHAPE
Web-based searching system from Belgium

When I clicked on Toevoegen (which means Choose a Handshape), the web
page changes to a chart of SignWriting handshapes....and this chart is
listed in an international way....there are 6 categories of handshapes:

1. No fingers extended
2. 1 finger extended
3. 2 fingers extended
4. 3 fingers extended
5. 4 fingers extended
6. All fingers extended

In the SSS we have 10 hand groups. But the Belgian grouping design
gives us 6 hand groups instead. That means there are more handshapes in
one group, but on the other hand, it is easy to understand, based only
on the way the hands are made, and not on a counting system 1- 10 from
any one Sign Language....Please see the attached diagram. This shows
Belgian groups 1-3...