Question about "this" sign

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Fri Mar 26 14:23:29 UTC 2004

Nikos,

Actually, in that video dictionary, it looks like they are pointing
diagonally and specifically to an object.  When there is no object to
point to, I usually either point to the open palm of my other hand
usuing a double movement parallel to the wall plane, or just make the
same movement but without the palm.  That's exactly the same as what's
in the PUDL dictionary.  I would suspect that there may be different
"dialects" for "this" as my ASL hardcopy dictionary defines "this" as
"that", using a "Y" hand and moving it palm down in a double movement
parallel to the wall plane making contact with the open, upturned palm
of the non-dominant hand.

Bill