Question about "this" sign

Fri Mar 26 16:35:17 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 26, 2004

Hello Everyone, Bill and Nikos!
Bill is correct. There are many forms of the sign THIS...The signs are
directional. If you are pointing to an object that is high up, the
pointing would be high up, towards the object you are talking
about...So there are as many forms of THIS, as there are directions in
the room, and SignWriting can write them all visually, just as they are
signed.

This is a classic example why dictionaries are never perfect...To
include all the forms of THIS or HERE in a dictionary, you would need
around 25 or 30 entries, like the verb conjugation of HELP...smile...

The magnificent beauty of signed languages, is that they incorporate
the visual reality of our world, in such a concise and perfect way. In
a spoken language, you would have to write a paragraph explaining that
the THIS you are referring to, is something high on the corner of the
ceiling, but in a signed language, one sign takes care of a whole
paragraph!

Val ;-)