From Adam Frost

Mon May 17 15:30:34 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 17, 2004

Adam Frost wrote:
> Generally, there is no difference between the W & 6 and the F & 9
> because they are so close, and the difference can be know easily by
> context. Most Deaf people won't sign so 'picky' because they feel that
> ASL is not a language that truely uses fingerspelling; it is something
> to "bridge with the hearing." (I don't mean to put that as an offense
> to anyone. That is just how most Deaf feel.)

Dear SW List and Adam -
No offense taken on the issue of fingerspelling, Adam...I think that is
absolutely true! Ironically, a lot of hearing people cannot read
fingerspelling very well..I am one of them...and it is hard to
understand. You would think that would be the easiest for me...but just
the opposite...I would understand ASL much better, if fingerspelling
were not a part of the language...but there is nothing we can do about
that...it is a part of the language and that is that. Deaf people may
not realize how hard it is for hearing people to read
fingerspelling...Val ;-)