[sw-l] Eyes Half Open and Half Shut

Tue Nov 16 00:36:32 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
November 15, 2004

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> I simply made  a joke in order to discuss  the spelling of the eyes -
> I was
> always wondering that you distinguish between  half-shut  and half -
> open.
> So I understand now - that it depends on the scribes idea to write the
> eyes
> (half open) the  one or the other way. ?? Stefan ;-)

Hello Everyone, and Stefan!
The joke was very cute...smile...

In regards to the eyes Half Open or Half Shut (see attached)...They are
essentially the upper and lower halves of the Bug Eyes...They look a
little like eyegaze but they are not

Some of the symbols of the face were never defined specifically for any
language...They were there as a list of tools, with hopes that writers
like yourself, Stefan, who needs to create a standardization of facial
symbols, could choose from the big bag of symbols, and then you, with
your co-workers, would choose a specific standard for that symbol
within your own language...So you probably don't need both for a
smaller symbolset...

I will be adding more facial expression combinations to the IMWA
later...  Val ;-)