AW: [sw-l] New Handshapes for the IMWA

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Mon Nov 22 15:57:55 UTC 2004

Hi Valerie -

I did not understand this last sentence:

"So the base of the hand is determined by the shape of the lowest
finger...If the lowest finger is straight forward, then the base of the
symbol is an Angle or Hinge..."

( or is this a "typo" and you wanted to write square?)

>From my point of view:

There is a continuum - from the flat hand - thumb outside - to the closed
fist -

since we write the claw- hand with the "house"- basic handshape and the
fingers added with curved lines - It came to my mind to keep in line with
this but just change the look of the fingers - thumb, index - straight
lines, middle - a little bit curved, ring finger more curved, baby finger
almost bent to a tight "U" -

As you said the baby finger does not touch the palm - I understood your
system that in this case - and if there is no baby-finger-thumb contact
this spelling would be ok?

What do you think? See my attached variation1 ;-)

Thanks for your patience!

Stefan ;-)