[sw-l] New Handshapes for the IMWA

Mon Nov 22 16:28:43 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
November 22, 2004

Hello Stefan and Everyone -
Thanks for your questions...I am happy to explain the Handshape
Construction Rules. This will take several messages...

Here is the beginning of the rules, but let me make some diagrams
too...so more is coming...

HANDSHAPE CONSTRUCTION RULES

1. The four fingers determine the base of the handshape, not the thumb.

2. The shape of the base of the hand is determined by the shape of the
lowest finger.
(This is ONLY for the four fingers. It does not include the thumb.)

3. Square, or Tight Fist
At least one of the four fingers is touching the palm of the hand.

4. Circle, or Open Fist
Two or more fingers touch the tip of the thumb...or...
(Exception: At least one finger is close to touching the palm of the
hand but does not touch...this is rare)

5. Angle, or Hinge
One or more of the four fingers projects forward, and those projecting
fingers are the lowest of the four fingers...
(bends from the knuckle joint, but the middle joint is straight)

I will make diagrams to show you all - this is fun!!