[sw-l] SWML questions and comments

Signuno signuno at YAHOO.FR
Wed Oct 13 10:24:05 UTC 2004

Dear signwriting list (and blind cc to w3
international),

Earlier I explained about how
http://www.geocities.com/signuno/signoskriben.js
converts simple HTML with glosses into SW images.

Now I just wrote
http://www.geocities.com/signuno/signoskriben.xml
which is XSLT to convert SWML(-S?) into SW images.
It's my first ever XSLT :-)

So I wrote a simple SWML(-S?) page at
http://www.geocities.com/signuno/swml_kontrolo.xml
and when I surf to it with a very modern good browser
(Explorer for example) it displays fine!

Okay, some questions and comments.  What's the
difference between SWML and SWML-S, and why the funny
version S-1.0 instead of 1.0?  Is the DTD at
http://swml.ucpel.tche.br/ the most recent?

Using encoding="ISO-8859-1" is deprecated style,
encoding="UTF-8" is to be recommended.

> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
> >   <swml version="s-1.0" language="asl"
> tranlation="english">

language="asl" - should that be lang="SGN-US", or
signlang="SGN-US", or maybe xml:lang="SGN-US"?
Language is like javascript, lang is human language I
think.  I guess we've decided on the Everson codes
(I'm still waiting on a reply about SGN-EO versus
SGN-epo versus SGN-signuno).

What's translation="english" - is that the language of
the glosses - should it be translation="en-US", or
maybe glosslang="en-US"?  The signs could be ASL, and
the glosses French, yes?

<sign gloss="good?"> is okay for English, but if the
gloss is in Japanese with RUBY or Arabic with BIDI,
the SWML will be broken.  You need:

You should also allow the glosses to be multilingual:
xml:lang="fr">bon?</gloss><gloss
xml:lang="eo">bona?</gloss>

Thanks for listening to my ideas,
"Signuno".