[sw-l] WoordenBoek and Sign Puddle coordination...a question...

Wed Oct 13 23:12:49 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 13, 2004

Hello Charles!
Thank you for these questions. Are you looking at the signs that are in
the Flemish Sign Language Dictionary online? Called the WoordenBoek? I
have never seen the signs you are talking about, and it suddenly dawned
on me that you were looking at Flemish Sign Language? And I have never
even looked at their videos...that is wonderful that they have included
those!!!

Regarding editing the Flemish Sign Language Dictionary...I have never
read their dictionary in SignWriting...Before we start to do any
editing, I would want to include the Deaf writer, Kristof, and I do not
believe Kristof is a member of the SignWriting List...but maybe later,
if the teachers from the Deaf school in Belgium can help us, maybe we
can all communicate about what those signs are supposed to be, and then
re-write them so that we all can read them...We should do that as a
project together on the SignWriting List, and I know everyone will
learn a lot from that experience...there are a lot of dictionaries in
the world that need editing...including our ASL
dictionary...smile...but in time, if the software can settle down...we
can make all those dictionaries better...

Meanwhile I think it is fabulous that there are over 6000 Flemish Signs
online...it is an excellent start!

I am working on the web pages for Switzerland and Belgium right now,
but I will be happy to try to answer your questions tomorrow -

By the way, in November-December I hope to go back to the IMWA and add
some of the symbols that are missing...I know of two new handshapes you
requested...one from Russia and one from the Signuno system...I am sure
there are others I have forgotten...so if you could go through the
entire listing...there are currently 195 handshapes I
believe...download this document...

IMWA
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0160-sss2004-IMWA.pdf

and then tell me if you think of any other handshapes that are missing
- many thanks!

And thanks for writing, Charles -

Val ;-)