[sw-l] SWDB - Linguistic SignWriting Database

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Oct 22 21:23:21 UTC 2004

Antônio Carlos,

Ah, I see it now - I missed the little 1..infinity things  :)

Thanks for explaining!

Looking further into this, I do have another concern about SWML, though. In
the "Lessons in SignWriting 2002" manual, the example signs often overlap
opaquely. However, examining the SWML DTD version 1 and the SWML-S DTD I
can't see how the z-layer is handled. How is the fact that one hand is on
top of another expressed?

I notice that the gifs used for the Puddle dictionaries are completely
transparent, so this couldn't be expressed in Puddle anyway. Is it
unimportant or do we really need three-colour gifs so that one colour can be
designated as transparent for use by software?

Hopefully I'm wrong again, but I still need an explanation!

Sandy