[sw-l] IMWA size and transparency

Tue Oct 26 14:42:40 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 26, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> SIZE
> If the IMWA is going to represent the new standard, then the size of
> the
> symbols must stay the same.  Size matters when a program places one
> symbol
> with another.  If you change the size of the symbols by trimming the
> white
> space around the symbols, then signs in the Sign Puddle dictionary
> will not
> load properly in SignMaker.
>
> So I would say, don't change the size of the symbols.  But if you do
> change
> the size, do it now and never again.

Hello Everyone, and Stephen -
The last thing I want to do is to make more work for us, if we can
avoid it. And it would be a big job for me too, to have to trim all the
bounding boxes of the existing IMWA symbols...So I am not planning to
change the sizes of symbols, or their respective bounding box sizes,
unless you feel it would be an improvement for the future.

There are some exceptions to the size of the bounding boxes already, in
the current IMWA. Some of the Punctuation Symbols are wider than other
symbols, like handshapes. I hope that is not a problem?

For those wondering what I am talking about...Please see the attached
diagram...A bounding box is the term that means the size of the white
or transparent space around a symbol...In the attached diagram, Number
1 is the way the IMWA symbols are right now, and Number 2 is using the
Trim command in Photoshop, to do a tight bounding box around a
symbol...

I do have one question, Stephen....If the first version of the IMWA had
been trimmed like Number 2, would it have been an advantage or a
disadvantage, relating to programming?...

Anyway, I will not make any changes unless you tell me to...Thanks for
your input on this...Val ;-)