[sw-l] IMWA size and transparency

Tue Oct 26 14:50:05 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 26, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> TRANSPARENCY
> Transparency needs to be part of the IMWA symbols.  If you look at
> symbol
> 01-09-026-01-02-01 (attached), what part of the symbol should be
> transparent.  The fill for the palm should not be transparent, but what
> about the space between the fingers?
>
> Transparency for the IMWA requires that the symbol is understood.  A
> program
> can not do that.
>
> So I would say that the current IMWA is working fine.  It would be
> nice to
> have a version of the IMWA with the transparency done properly.  And
> once
> that is done, I can recreate all of the signs in Sign Puddle using the
> BLD
> formats.  But that is not required right now.

Hello Everyone, and Stephen -
Thanks for this excellent input. The question about the transparency
between fingers is important and I have to literally experiment with
different choices to see what works for meaning, and what doesn't...I
suspect that there should not be any transparency between the fingers,
but let me experiment a little to be sure of that...

Meanwhile, if what I have been doing in the past is ok for now, then I
think adding the remaining symbols in the IMWA that are needed, to
write DanceWriting and MimeWriting, and the added combination arrows
and facial expressions, and the new handshapes that others have
requested, should be more important than the re-formatting right now...

Then, once all those symbols are in there, we can try to use automatic
batch programming, to re-format every symbol in the IMWA all the
same...that can be done by others, but the adding of the new symbols is
dependent on me...smile...

I can't wait to get all those wonderful symbols in the IMWA!