[sw-l] Handwriting and idiosyncratic SW

James Shepard-Kegl, Esq. kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Mon Oct 4 19:18:49 UTC 2004

I am not so certain that English writing omits irrelevancies.  Indeed, it
seems to hang on to somewhat confusing spellings out of respect to history
and tradition  -- hence "night" which I believe sounded more like the German
"nacht" at some point (I am merely guessing at the German spelling), or
"knight" which sounded more like K-NICHT.

What maintains English spelling has been the publication of dictionaries.
Thus, as word pronunciations have changed over time and place, spelling by
and large has not.  It seems to me that sign languages set down in SW will
likewise have standardized spellings.

More to the point, the beauty of SW is that it is predictable  -- and new
readers can learn the code and predict fairly closely how a sign ought to be
"spelled".  One can develop a shorthand code or adopt convenient
abbreviations, but I should think that the popularity and utility of the
system is grounded in its adherence to a code for the sake of
predictability.

-- James Shepard-Kegl