[sw-l] SWISS-FRENCH: Sign for Swiss-French Sign Language?

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod girodmarc at VTX.CH
Mon Oct 4 20:27:35 UTC 2004

Le 4 oct. 04, à 19:16, Valerie Sutton a écrit :

> SignWriting List
> October 4, 2004
>
> On Oct 3, 2004, at 1:00 PM, Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
>> Usually when deaf persons of the french speaking part of Switzerland
>> speak of their language... they just spell "LSF" which means french
>> sign language ... it's usually when they have to explain that it's
>> not the same language used in France that they specify "LSF- Suisse
>> romande" (romande" being the word for "french speaking part of")
>> I'll ask the group when we meet on the 30th of october to be sure...
>> I'll  write down "romand" fro you on signPuddle very soon!
>
> --------------
>
> Hello Everyone, and Anne-Claude!
> This is very interesting. I bet Romande was the name of the
> Prince-dom, or little country, that existed before Switzerland became
> one country with three spoken languages? Was there a Prince Romande
> way back in history?...Europe has such a rich history ;-))
in fact Switzerland has always been infuenced by its neighbours... the
east part of the country, close to Germany and other german countries
speaks german.. (in french we say "suisse alémanique" ou "suisse
allemande")
In the same way we use .the adjective "romande" because of the french
influence ("roman language" include all languages that came from latin
that mean catalan, spanish, french, italian, portuguese, ...) No prince
at all!!

> And I bet there is a special flag just for the French-speaking Romande
> region of Switzerland, stemming back to the time when it was a
> separate government, probably back in the year 500? just
> guessing...smile...
No, no flag related to the lingtuistic regions of Switzerland...
Switzerland is divided into 23 "cantons" (states), each of these states
has its own flag... but no flags related to our 4 national languages
(german, french, italian and romanche)
The flag you chose is the right one!!...

> Anyway, notice this icon for your SignPuddle that I have right now on
> this web page (see attached)...
Just perfect this way!

> http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle
>
> It is the flag for Switzerland with the sign for Switzerland
we do use another handshape (small C) but it's not important at all!!!
> , but it does not differentiate between French-speaking and
> German-speaking regions...
Oh well... it's not very important!
> so we could use your regional flags and sign-names if you wish...
we can add the sign for "romande" if you want...

more another day... I need some sleep now!

Anny