[sw-l] Handwriting and idiosyncratic SW

Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR
Mon Oct 4 20:40:19 UTC 2004

Dear James,

   Of course, I fully agree with your statements.

   But, disregarding historical inheritance and the weird features it
produced, I hope you agree that the normal use of the latin alphabet is
more directed toward phonological (phonemic) writing than toward a
phonetic one.

   I've added another illustration, maybe more clear than the previous
one, about what I'm talking about. Two equivalent, valid, ways to
produce the sign HOUSE, that can be perfectly made distinct in
SignWriting, but that probably would not both be needed in a more
standardized way of writing LIBRAS.

   This example is more close to what I meant by the need of going into
a phonological writing, where details could be left out a common
agreement about what to simply in the written form of the sign.

   Of course, going back to the fully detailed phonetic writing,
whenever needed, would always be possible, at any moment.

   All the best,

   Antônio Carlos

--
Antônio Carlos da Rocha Costa