[sw-l] Typing SW rather than using a mouse

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Wed Oct 6 17:24:19 UTC 2004

See comments below....

Thanks,

Stuart

Signuno wrote:

> --- Charles Butler <chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM> a écrit
>:
>

>>Thinking out loud.
>>
>>It would be kind of strange if at the end of the day
>>you had something like,
>>
>>"jku,m fm,tm" or a syllabary in Roman letters and
>>punctuation for the keystrokes of sign language.

Well, I am not sure. They do have their own keyboards with their own
symbols on it.  For some, they use an IME (Input Method Editor). Really,
it isn't much different than what SignWriter DOS already does.
Personally, I think the approach that SignWriter DOS takes is probably a
good approach because it gives a way to type rather efficiently but
still have the reminders on screen.

Using pen gestures could also work, but will be less convenient when
doing mixed language work (i.e., both SL and spoken language writing.
The keyboard approach will be more practical for mixed language work.

Also, there is no need for a AZERTY/QWERTY/etc. keyboard. It is possible
to replace the keys of a keyboard such that the SW symbols for that
keyboard are what we see on the keyboard. Then it isn't a spoken
language keyboard anymore.  Perhaps the spoken language representation
could still be present in a small character on the corner of the key,
but the SW representation could still be the primary representation of
the key.