[sw-l] SWML questions and comments

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Oct 13 13:18:15 UTC 2004

Hiya Hope! (it is Hope, isn't it?)

This is really good work - I think you're going in the right direction for
the shape of future SW websites.

While you're getting into this, here's a challenge you might like to think
about.

One of the weaknesses of pulling signs from dictionaries is that many signs
have a continuous range of meanings. For example the British Sign Language
sign for 'child' has a usual form where the hand is held at about hip level,
but the height of the hand may be varied to indicate the age (or at any
rate, height) of the child. See the attached gif for an illustration of this
(though the adult sign needs a bit of extra modification so might be best
expressed as a separate dictionary entry).

Since the SWML contains information about the position of each symbol in the
sign, would it be possible to apply a transformation which will allow the
envisaged height of the child to be applied?

Perhaps it would be necessary to add range information to the SWML for this?
For example, specifying the maximum and minimum heights of the handshape
symbol. It makes the SWML a little more complicated but maybe it beats
filling up dictionaries with a multitude of signs to cover all variations of
each sign.

Some other examples of signs like this in BSL are "pregnant" (expressing the
term of pregnancy), grow-up (which can be signed like "eight grow-up twelve"
meaning "between the ages of eight and twelve", and many other obvious ones
such as "box" (which can indicate boxes of different sizes) etc.

What do you think? Too far-fetched, food for thought, or a piece of cake?

Sandy