[sw-l] SWISS-FRENCH: Sign for Swiss-French Sign Language?

Wed Oct 13 18:34:48 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 13, 2004

Dear SW List, and Anne-Claude!
Thank you for answering my questions about the languages of
Switzerland! European countries have such a long and rich history, that
I can't help myself...I am soooo fascinated by the history!

I did not realize that Switzerland had four spoken languages: French,
German, Italian and Romanche. It appears that three are Latin-based
(French, Italian and Romanche?)..and I would assume that all four
regions have their own separate and unique signed languages, just as
they have in the different regions of Belgium...

Anyway, I will be creating a new section for Switzerland on the web now
too...with two separate links...one for Swiss-French Sign Language and
one for Swiss-German Sign Languages. Both are being written in
SignWriting now! So you will have your own web area soon, Anny!

Val ;-)

-------------------

-------------------

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> in fact Switzerland has always been infuenced by its neighbours... the
> east part of the country, close to Germany and other german countries
> speaks german.. (in french we say "suisse alémanique" ou "suisse
> allemande")
> In the same way we use .the adjective "romande" because of the french
> influence ("roman language" include all languages that came from latin
> that mean catalan, spanish, french, italian, portuguese, ...) No
> prince at all!!

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
No, no flag related to the lingtuistic regions of Switzerland...
Switzerland is divided into 23 "cantons" (states), each of these states
has its own flag... but no flags related to our 4 national languages
(german, french, italian and romanche)