[sw-l] Flemish Sign Language Dictionary

Katrien Van Mulders katrien_vanmulders at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 14 20:11:33 UTC 2004

Hi Val, Charles and list,

I hope we can work together on improving the Flemish Sign Language dictionary! It will be both entertaining and useful to exchange each other's knowledge :-)

I did check out the pages you mentioned, Val, some time ago and again yesterday and they look perfect! And yes, Bart and Steven still help us with the dictionary (although they're quite busy gentlemen nowadays ;-)

I don't know what you should call the computer software that creates the woordenboek. I will give it some thought and get back to you ... :-)

It's great that you are creating a web area for Belgium. It's about time! ;-)) I will be sure to check it from time to time.

Take care

Katrien

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
October 14, 2004

Katrien Van Mulders wrote:
> I know it has been a while since you last heard of me. As you know, I
> am one of the 'Belgian people behind' the Flemish Sign Language (VGT)
> Dictionary 'called Woordenboek' (you do know, Val, that 'woordenboek'
> is simply the Dutch translation of 'dictionary', right? ;-)) just
> kidding :-)
>
> I would just like to inform you that maybe not all signs in our
> dictionary are rendered correctly in SignWriting. Not yet, that is.
> Kristof and myself are still discussing them and plan to check every
> single sign in the near future to make sure we made no mistakes. All
> comments you may have, are of course very welcome and will -no
> doubt- prove helpful :-)

Hello Katrien, Kristof and Belgian team!
I am so glad you are still on the SignWriting List, Katrien. Sorry that
I didn't realize that. But that is also perfect, because then, if we do
discuss a Belgian-Flemish sign, I know you can help us understand it
better. And Charles is correct that there are some signs in the Flemish
dictionary online that do not match the video clips, as I know you
know....and since there are video clips, I believe I could help you in
an accurate way, even though I personlly do not know Flemish Sign
Language. So if you are open to some editing, we could share it with
the SignWriting List, and all of us will learn together.

And yes! I do realize the name Woordenboek means "dictionary" in
Flemish...and I am happy you bring this up, Katrien...because let me
explain the problem. We need an official name for your computer program
that creates the Flemish Sign Language Dictionary online...because that
computer software, developed by Steven Aerts, Bart Braem and
others...that program is not only used for Flemish Sign
Language...there is an American Sign Language version of it...so the
program itself needs a name, so I can link to it from our web site...so
I wrote to Steven and Bart to ask them to check out the following two
pages, to make sure they are correct, and I have not heard from them
yet:

WoordenBoek Description
http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/software/archive/softarc09.html

Lisbon Presentation of Flemish Software Project
http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/software/lisbon/lisbon07.html
(your names are on this web page)

Katrien, your name, and Kristof's name, are mentioned on the above web
page, so can you check those web pages please and give me some
feedback? Many thanks...

What should we name the computer software that creates the woordenboek?
(in any sign language on the web)...I am happy to change the name to
anything you request ;-)

Are Steven and Bart still working on the project?

And do you know Kathleen Heylen?..I assume you do!! I am creating a web
area for Belgium now, so you are welcome to add information to the
site, as soon as I am done...I will give you the page to look at
later...