[sw-l] Question....Creating SWML-S with SignMaker

Sat Oct 16 16:51:55 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 16, 2004

Hello Charles and Everyone!
I prefer something short, because we have to create icons. For example,
SignMaker is short enough a name that it is not necessary to write
SM...the full name is fine. And the same with something like
SignText...who needs the ST when writing SignText is so fast!

What's more, there will always be other acronyms in other languages
that will mean different things. And even in English, SW means Software
to a lot of people...I get that question all the time...SW means
software? they ask me...but within our understanding in our group, SW
means SignWriting...so acronyms are used within small groups of people
to mean different things...

But I don't want a confusion with something that has to do with
something negative, so I think you were right to inform us about
SSM...parents of Deaf children might be upset...

Anyway, let's give this time...the program isn't ready yet anyway, and
the name can wait!

Many thanks for your input, Charles, on the name. Have you tested
Stephen's new program? Can you create a sentence in SignWriting with it
yet? We could use your feedback on that...go to:

Create Sign Sentences
http://www.oculog.net/signmaker/sm.php

Stephen gave us written instructions on how to use it in a previous
message...

Val ;-)