AW: [sw-l] BSL Reading Test :)

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Fri Oct 22 13:19:56 UTC 2004

Hi Sandy and everybody,
thanks for your second table of handwritten signs. My first idea was - wow -
there are not too many symbols to add that would make reading your signs so
much easier  - so what ??

"   -   in a long (four-syllable) sign you should try to avoid writing the
final movement (Val);"

I am not sure what you mean.  I cannot remember any advice like this - in
fact I would be surprised ( smile)

Writing and spelling is always done with the level of understanding of your
reader - there might be signs that do not need to write everything in
detail - since your reader would know anyway  - but it depends.

The general idea in Sutton SignWriting is to write a starting and ending
handshape if there is a difference between the two according to one of the
important parameters. But there are exceptions - and Valerie herself would
never "force" anybody into a "spelling - rule" (smile)
Well all of us do not write different handshapes for the sign of  house -
but in order to describe the difference of handorientation in the beginning
and in the end we should do that.   ;-))  - Especially if we describe our
sign for this and that to somebody who is not familiar with our SL.

Otherwise the whole idea of movement-writing would lead to kind of prejudice
that it is not exact enough and bla bla bla ...

So - can you tell  we where you found this advice from Valerie Sutton?

Stefan ;-)