AW: [sw-l] BSL Reading Test :)

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Fri Oct 22 13:19:57 UTC 2004

As far as missing things out goes, it seems to me that there's a general
agreement that:

   -   in a long (four-syllable) sign you should try to avoid writing the
final movement (Val);
   -   handshape and position changes in a sign can usually be indicated
just with the movement symbols (Charles);
   -   contact symbols can be omitted if the touch is light and suggested by
the relative positions of the symbols (Signuno).

Hi Sandy -

I do not know of any general agreement so far. - Some of us are practising
and experimenting and simply writing by hand - but I bet  if  we would meet
to exchange our experiences so far - there are lots of individual solutions,
preferences, ideas ...

Of  course you are free to write the way whatever you want (smile) - on the
other hand yes - I am very interested in looking at lots and lots and lots
of handwritten documents in order to get inspiration on how to express some
symbols that are so wonderful printed with computers - or in the first
published SW - documents with this so tremendous time consuming pasting of
single symbols ... ( Did anybody at that time expressed his doubts because
it took soooooooooo long to puzzle one page together ?)

Hi Sandy the way you expressed a circular movement  ("think")  caught my
eyes -  the hooked - index finger  brushes at the head forward up and in a
circle coming back)
In this case it is me who is going to hurt a rule- (smile) I would not care
about the gaps but try to focus on the broad and narrow part of the movement
circle.

Your arrow at the sign for deaf  indicates a movement diagonal to the right
toward the head ( interesting - ) perhaps just a contact star would be
enough since many signers intuitively would perform a movement coming from
the right side?

Anyway I love to read BSL - so now I know your sign for think, understand,
..

I am looking for a online  BSL - dictionary  lifelike drawings or video -
in order to learn some signs - do you know of any ?

I found this video and tried to write it by hand - smile

Have a nice day

Stefan ;-)