[sw-l] A message from Val ;-)

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Sat Oct 23 21:10:24 UTC 2004

Val wrote:

>> And thank you, Ingvild, for helping Stacey...Sarah...I will write to try
to help you soon...sorry for the delay...I wish some of the people in Great
Britain would respond to you...but they need your project description...so I
will try to find it and post it... <<

I really don't feel qualified to suggest a subject for a dissertation, but
since we seem to have been prodded...  :)

One thing that would progress SW in BSL would be for someone to define which
IMWA symbols are required for expressing BSL. The Black Book (the big
BSL-English dead tree dictionary) could act as a springboard for this, since
it lists all the handshapes that they needed to express thwir signs. I think
it's then a matter of researching which signs are missing from the IMWA,
which are missing from the Black Book, and which can be represented by
simpler versions available in the IMWA.

It's a bit taxonomic in flavour so I don't know if it would seem
interesting, but it would certainly be an advance in the field of
SignWritten BSL.

Sandy