[sw-l] Preview SignWriting with white space borders

Sun Oct 31 04:44:17 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 30, 2004

Bill Reese wrote:
> I tried overlaying a few random symbols and the white border on the
> inside of symbols didn't allow me to overlay face symbols very well.
> It almost looks as if the 2 pixels is too much.  I'll be curious to
> see if this carries over to actual signs.

Hello Bill, Stephen, and Everyone -
It has really been a remarkable few days. At first I thought it would
take us weeks to create a symbolset with a 2-pixel white border around
each symbol, but Stephen miraculously did that quite quickly! Now we
can test the 2-pixel border symbols, as Stephen pointed out...and when
I did, I thought the 2-pixel outline was too thick... I can see you
feel the same, Bill...

Here is what I think....The words like Mirror, or Variation, or Fill
etc...Those are called Special Command Keys. I think we need Special
Command Icons that are visual, like the attached diagram...Notice there
is a Special Command key for Place Over and one for Place Under in the
attached diagram...

Place Over....for the symbols with a 1-pixel white border
Place Under...the default for all symbols, without any white
border...just black on transparent...

see attached...