[sw-l] Re: Country and Language Codes, and standardization with ISO

Mon Sep 27 18:16:02 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
September 27, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> US-SGN may work for the US, but what about Canada?

Canada is certainly one of those unique cases. It is an exception
because of conversations we had with Canadians several years ago about
this. We have not tried to register official codes for the two Canadian
signed languages yet, because I would like to speak with Canadians from
both the English and French speaking regions first, to find out how
they feel now...So for now...

If we are following the standard already established, the regional
country codes would be:

CA-en (English speaking part of Canada)
CA-fr (French speaking part of Canada)

which would become

sgn-CA-en (ASL used in Canada)
sgn-CA-fr (French-Canadian Sign Language)

The reason there is confusion, is that the English-speaking part of
Canada did not give their ASL a unique name. They still call it ASL,
even though they live in Canada...they do not call it Canadian Sign
Language. So when we spoken about this on the SignWriting List, I was
told that they did not want to differentiate between the countries...

We could do this:

sgn-US-CA...

But this needs to be discussed more...

Hope this information has been interesting for all of you, and I look
forward to your feedback -  Val ;-)