[sw-l] Re: Country and Language Codes, and standardization with ISO

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon Sep 27 19:06:04 UTC 2004

I wonder if we would have the same problem with other countries where
ASL is used? So you are suggesting that if it is an established sign
language of Country 1 that is also used in Country 2, that we should use
the country code for Country 2 in the region slot?

As in your example: sgn-US-CA where CA is Canada.

Related to Canada, would they refer to it as sgn-CA-fr or would they
prefer to use an abbreviation to say it is Quebec Sign Language (LSQ)? I
am curious about that. Does the ISO have a way to identify regions in a
country as part of their process?

So that would mean that sgn-US is really the code for ASL, but sgn-US-CA
would refer to the Canadian usage of ASL?  That certainly would be
helpful for marking variants of a sign language that are different
because it is the same language but used in another country.

I wonder ... is there a way we can identify dialects?  That may be
helpful in dictionary usage to identify where that particular sign is
used.  Maybe we find it is used everywhere so we can just use the
regular ISO code for the sign language.  But maybe we find it is more of
a southwestern sign or a California sign or a Michigan sign or whatever.
Would it work to add another slot for marking dialect?  The same could
be true for other countries.  I don't know if that has to be
ISO-approved, but maybe we could work out something that is an agreed
SignWriting standard for our purposes.

Unless you all know of an existing method of identifying sign language
dialects used in the research community????

Thanks,

Stuart