[sw-l] Re: Country and Language Codes, and standardization with ISO

Signuno signuno at YAHOO.FR
Thu Sep 30 13:44:13 UTC 2004

 --- Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> a écrit :

> Meanwhile, regarding the code of your Signuno
> system...one of the
> problems with a signed language that is not
> naturally-evolved in one
> region of the world, is that it has to have a
> different code to show
> that fact. So we can work together to create an
> excellent code...but
> let us take this slowly and talk through all the
> possibilities...

That's no problem, slow is good for me.

> associated with Esperato. And Gestuno, which is
> another system, does
> not seem to have a language code in the ISO...I
> couldn't find one
> anyway!

I don't think Gestuno has a code, although it should
considering that there is at least one Gestuno
dokument on the web at
http://www3.unesco.org/manifesto2000/pdf/gestuno.pdf
(does anyone recognize the writing system used there?)

Esperanto has had a code for a long time (which isn't
surprising considering an ISO founder was I'm told an
Esperanto speaker).  The two letter code is "eo" and
the three letter code is "epo".  So I guess Everson
would suggest using sgn-epo as he uses 2 letters for
countries and 3 letters for languages.

best wishes,
"Signuno".