[sw-l] a question

Tue Apr 19 15:22:27 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 19, 2005

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa wrote:
> My Belgian mate (the Liege one!) wanted to ask me a question : is
> there a
> rule for the handshapes on the sign writing system, regarding the
> orientations, and location of the fingers, etc? He and his work
> colleague
> are struggling with the logics of the handshapes and we are trying to
> find
> out the rules. They understand the handshapes, but they don't
> understand why
> the fingers location change (or not) when the orientation of the hands
> change - so could I please explain that to them?

Hello Shane!
Is your friend from Liege on the SignWriting List? That would help! And
Charles, I have not forgotten your questions...I am still working on
improving the symbols in SignMaker regarding the finger trills...so I
will have to get back to that later...

So Shane...Look at the attached diagram...Can you see why the
finger-line switched on the third one, to the other side of the
square?..Because when you see the back of your hand, the finger is on
the other side...So are there rules? Well...for specific symbols
yes...but generally, you are writing what you see....so place your hand
on the symbol...can you see why the finger-line switched?...