[sw-l] Re: SignPuddle

Barbara Pennacchi barbara.pennacchi at ISTC.CNR.IT
Thu Apr 28 11:24:16 UTC 2005

On 27.04.05 19:12, Valerie Sutton wrote:

Thanks for all your explanations on your philosophy, it helps me tone down
my bad temper (I often suffer from a bad case of bluntness+irkiness :p)

>> I don't think it is necessary, I've found its usage intuitive enough,
>> though I have to agree with honza that it would be nice if we could
>> have more fields for every sign, like name of sign in our language and
>> in english, definition of sign in both languages... source? what is it
>> actually for? I've used it to enter my name when I entered the 2
>> different signspellings.
>
> That is left open for users to decide what they want to write there, but
> we could make a decision as a group what to do for each field, and
> also...there will be three kinds of SignPuddles in the future...

Ok, fine with me. However, I really _must_ have to note something about:

> 1. SignPuddle Online Community (free for viewers and editors)
> Free and Open Dictionaries for 30 Signed Languages
>
> 2. Published SignPuddle Dictionaries (free for viewers)
> Official Video Dictionaries with SignWriting that can be viewed, seached
> and printed, but not changed.
>
> 3. Private SignPuddle Projects (by subscription)
> Groups can pay to have their own private SignPuddle for dictionary
> development, with full technical support. With video features and more
> linguistic fields. The private SignPuddles can be turned into published
> dictionaries later.

So far, as of today, all dictionaries for the different sign languages are
now clumped into ONE server and this server happens to be physically
located somewhere in the US, right? (I'm feeling too lazy to launch a
nslookup on signbank, hehe)

What if, in future, we could (whenever possible) move each sign language's
dictionaries to a server physically located in each nation and,
optionally, have them all clumped under the domain name signbank.org
(like, italian sign language's dictionaries on a server in Rome, Italy and
under the name of it.signbank.org). It would make both browsing and
editing more faster and a bit more reliable for the people directly
involved in it.

>> What really would be necessary is to put in SignPuddle some sort of
>> help on-line explaining the larger symbolset (I'm in a hurry right NOW,
>> so I'm not really sure it's already in it....)
>
> Some already exists...but there will be more and more in time...
>
> Go to:
>
> SignMaker Help
> http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/help

Thanks, and sorry for yesterday: I was already late for an appointment %-P

| Barbara Pennacchi               barbara.pennacchi (at) istc.cnr.it |
|                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
|         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
|                  V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia                  |
|                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |